Category : US In WWI
- Started by Germany.
- Major factor leading US to join the war
- On January 9th, 1917, Germany announced to use the unrestricted submarine war fare.(historylearningsite.co)
Reasons why Germany started this tactic:
- Germany wanted to swipe Britain away from the war.
- Germany believed that if the consequences of the unrestricted submarine warfare were shocking enough, America would keep staying away from the war.
- They believed that America would be afraid of them if they sucessfully cut the vessels of alliances and defeat the British royal navy.
- Unfortunately this tactic totally provoked America because Germany sank 3 American ships during the unrestricted submarine warfare
Reasons why United States entered the war:
- Because of the unrestricted submarine warfare (Germany sank 3 American ships).
- Zimmerman Telegram
- A telegram sent from German Foreign Secretary in February 1917 aiming to ally with Mexico.
- The telegram tells that if Mexic
o would like to ally with German, they would help Mexico to recapture land from US.
- The telegram was intercepted by Britain and British showed it to US.
- US was extremely angry that they declared war on Germany in April 1917